Saturday, January 26, 2013

Sad Road Trip

My  Uncle  Emmett,  who  lives  in  Odessa,  Texas  passed  away  last week.  I  have  always  said  that  I  will  be  at  all  of  my  Aunts and  Uncles  funerals.  He  lived  in  Odessa,  but  is   to  be  buried  in  Kinmundy, IL.,   the  home  town  of   most  of   my  Dad's   family   and  spouses.    Uncle  Emmett  was  90 years old and married to Aunt Laura, my Dad's younger sister. He  was  a good  man with a  dry  sense  of   humour  and  wonderful  father/grandfather/great grandfather.  We  will  miss  him .  On  our  travels,  we  have  always  gone   to Odessa  to  visit  my  aunt   and uncle.  

We  decided  to  go  to  Texas  because  it  is  a  lot  closer   than  IL.   I  did  check  on  tickets  to  IL with  Alaska  and  it  was  a  29  hour  flight  because  we  had  to  go  from  Palm Springs/Phoenix  airports  back  to  Seattle  and  then  to  St  Louis.    Crazy.  My  brother  is  going  to  IL.  We  would  have gone  there  too,  if  we had  been  in  Renton.

We  drove  the  truck,  leaving  the  RV  here.   It  was  887  miles  one  way.   Fast trip.  We  were  gone  5  days  and  4  of  those  were  driving  days.   Made  it  each  way  in  1.5  days.  WHEW!  We  are  exhausted  from  such  long  driving  days.  When  we travel   in  the  RV,  we only  go  200-300  miles per day.  That  is  usually  a 4-6  hour  day.  Plenty  when you  are pulling  an  RV.

  It  was  a  sad trip,  but  his  memorial was  a  celebration  of  his  life.   Lots  of  joyous  singing.   I  really  like  it  when  the  pastor/minster  knows  the  person  and  makes  it  very  personal.   One  of  the  best  memorials  I  have  ever   been to.   They  do  it  right  in  Texas.

This was taken on our trip last year.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment