Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Water, The Wave and other observations

Today we are just relaxing at the trailer so thought I would catch you up on a few things. We are so lucky in the NW to have such wonderful water. The water in San Diego was awful. I had to add a little cranberry juice in mine to be drinkable. Palm Springs is a little better. I don't have to add anything, but it still isn't as good as ours. I have been told that from now on, we will probably have to buy it.

The Wave: If you do any RVing, you learn to do the wave. When walking or driving around the parks, everybody waves. Not quite the queens wave, but a wave none the less. Or the nod, a lot of the men nod, say hello but no wave.

We did a lot of sightseeing in San Diego, probably too much. With the truck alone, we traveled over 1200 miles. Denny said that with and without pulling the RV, we could have reached New York by now. In San Diego, we saw Sea World, the Zoo, Wild Animal Park, the ocean, several missions, Birch Aquarium, the glider ride and Balboa Park, that has the Air and Space, Car and Natural History museum. Since we will probably go there next winter, we probably didn't need to see so much at one time.

In Palm Springs, we have done a little less. We are tired from everything we did in San Diego and we are only here one week. We did the Tram, the Follies, the Indian Canyons and the Salton Sea. The Salton Sea is amazing. It is the largest lake in California and it is salt water. Seems strange to see a large lake in the middle of the desert. We thought Lake Tahoe was the biggest. It is a long story on how it came to be so I won't go into it, but it is beautiful. The Indian Canyons are almost like they were thousands of years ago. You can just imagine the Indians living there. In the middle of the desert canyons are lots of Palm trees growing by the river.

We have been buying a few gifts for the grand kids. Denny rolls his eyes sometimes because he says Darin and Heather will not be happy with me. There is noise involved in quite a few of them. Sorry, but they were so cute and I just laughed when I saw them. They should be glad that I changed my mind about the drum and guitar.

We have been gone a month yesterday. We are having a great time and enjoying every minute. Meeting a lot of new people. We have exchanged numbers with a couple of people. Hope to see them both on the road again.

I have taken so many pictures it is hard to decide which ones to include. I haven't done much of that because I'm not very good at it and it takes a long time. When I have a lot of time, 'll catch up. We have been thru snowy mountains to the ocean to the desert in less than a month.

Had a date shake today. I was also told that was a must do. Indio, a little east of Palm Springs, is the date capital of the US. I have never had a date before, never thought I would like them. They are quite good. Even Denny liked them.

One last thing: newspapers. It is interesting to see the different papers. We have seen the San Diego and Palm Springs News and the LA Times. We miss our comics. A lot of them were in the San Diego but none in the LA Times. In the front section of the LA Times, they didn't have any national news until page 10. It was local stuff. In the Sunday one, there were 3 sections on image and 2 sections on film and TV. I guess you should expect that in LA. Neither one had a TV section like you get in our Sunday paper. The daily listings only start at 7 or 8 PM. You can buy an additional weekly TV guide section for $2.99. I thought it was kind of strange.

Bye for now, looking back, it seems like I've written a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment