Saturday, April 6, 2013

UPDATES FROM PALM SPRINGS

We  have been   so  busy  lately  that  I  haven't  been  able  to  do  my  blog.   Here  are  a  few  things  that  have  been  happening.
 
A  neighbor  of  ours,  Mike,  took  Denny  on  a  ride.   This  tricycle  is  $32,000.    Most  trikes  we   have  seen  have  1  wheel  in  front  and  2  in  the  back.   This  has  2  in  front,  1  in  the  back.    Looks  pretty  nice  to  me,  but  he  wants  to  sell  it  and  upgrade  to  a  better  one.    Mike  lost  his  wife  last  year  and  travels  around  by  himself.    The  2nd  picture  is  his  motor home  and  trailer  that  he  hauls  the  trike  around  in.   No  car.   He  is  from Spokane  Valley.  We  plan  to  keep  in  touch.
 

 
 
This  is  a  strange  setup  for  an  RV.   When  I  took  this  picture,  we  had  never  met  the  people.   Since  then,  we  have  seen  them  a  few  times  to  chat.   They  have  been  traveling  in  it  for  5  years.   She  is  tired  of  it  because  it  has  no  slide  outs  and  is  crowded.   I  certainly  agree  to  that.   She  wants  a  bigger  RV  with  slide  outs.    They  also  tow   another car  behind  the one trailered. To us, it  looks  alot  like  the   Beverly  Hillbillies.  If you are older, you would remember the TV series.   Looks can be deceiving.  He was a race car driver, owns a plane and is a pilot.    The  back  of  the  truck  is  where  they  set  their  table  and  chairs.
 
 
 
One  day  last  week,  I  went  on  a  bike  ride  with  Bernie  to  find  some  geocaches.   He  said  it  would  be  around  a  5  mile  trip.   HE  LIED.   By  the  time  we  got  back,  we  had  gone  10  miles  in  90  degree  heat.   I  refilled  my  water  bottle  twice  and  was  exhausted.    It  was  quite the  unique  ride.   Because  I  didn't  think  I  could  ride  up  a  fairly  steep  hill,  we  took  our  bikes  over  3  sets  of   railroad  tracks,  TWICE.  It  is  highly  illegal,  so  lucky  for  us  there  were  no  cops  or  trains.   Kind  of  dangerous.   On  the  way  back,   there  was  a  car  going  a  little  faster  than  I  thought.   I  was  pedaling  as  fast  as  I  could  and  made  it,  but  my  heart  was  certainly   going  pitter  patter.   Kind  of  scary  AND  dangerous.   Then,  the  worst  thing.  In  an  intersection,  I  went  thru  the  only  mud  puddle  in  Palm  Springs.  I  don't  know  where  it  came   from  because  it  hasn't  rained  since  we  have  been  here.   Under  the  puddle,  there  was  a  crack  in  the  road.   My  wheel caught  the  crack  and  with  the  water,  I  was  hydroplaning  and  went  down.   I  was  very  lucky,  nothing  was  broken,  at  least  not  me.   I  landed  on  my  left  hip.   I  was  sure  it  would  have  a  big  bruise  the  next  day,  but  no.   It  is  sore,  I  can't  sit  or  lie  down  on  my  left  side.    At  first,  my  right  thumb  was  so  sore  I  couldn't  even  touch  it.   Also  it  was  useless,  no  strength.   You  can't   imagine  how  much  you  rely  on  your  thumb  until  you  can't  use  it.   It  is  getting  better.   Not  sore  anymore,  but  stiff.   All  in  all,  I felt  lucky.   The  bike  is  another  matter.   I  broke  my  gear  shifter  and  a  few  things  had  to  be  twisted  back   into  shape,  but  everything  is  good.  I  was  able  to drive  it  back.   Ironic,  because  I  broke  the  gear  shift  on  my  bike  a  few  months  ago.   Didn't  have  an  accident,  it  just  fell  over.  I  didn't  secure it  good  enough.   I  was  riding  Denny's  bike  when  I  had  the  accident.
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment