Monday, December 6, 2010

Ocean Views--Absolutly Beautiful

December 3, 2010

Denny finally felt good enough to go for a drive, so off we went.  We drove Highway 1 to Monterey Bay, 17 Mile Drive,  Pebble Beach,  Carmel by the Sea,  and down to Big Sur.   The views, even before you get to Monterey, are beautiful. Highway 1  follows the coastline.  After passing thru  Monterey, we went on 17 Mile Drive. It costs $9.50 per vehicle, but well worth it.  You pass by several golf courses right on the ocean.  There are many mega mansions along the drive.  WOW!  Seeing how the other half  live is amazing. I took a ton of pictures, but I'll only post a few. You will thank me when I tell you I took 50. Pebble Beach is where they hold the U.S Open.  After getting back on Highway 1 after Carmel on the Sea, the coastline changes even more. Very tall jagged hills, straight down to the ocean. Roads are very curvy with lots of ups and downs.

 I picked this guy up along the way. Seems to know a lot about RV's. Think I'll keep him around.





This  is bird/seal rock.  It is so far away that you can't see the seals with your naked eye. You could only hear them and they were quite LOUD. I was quite shocked that I was able to see them with my zoom. Love my camera!


The green/brownish plant is a ground cover that has been planted all over the coastline to protect it from erosion.  The leaves are thick and spiky. Seems like a cactus, but is probably in the sedum family. Makes the coastline very colorful

This is a cedar that is 250 years old. Most of the time they grow in clumps, but this one is all by itself.  Hard to see in the picture but they have put rock and bricks around it to save it for another 50-100 years.

No comments:

Post a Comment