Sunday, October 23, 2011

Cedar Breaks and Zion/Kolab National Park

September 29, 2011
Thought I had better start dating my blogs since I am so far behind.  We went to Cedar Breaks National Monument on Thursday.  It is about 30 miles north of Hurricane.  When we left Hurricane  it was 95 degrees, so I had on a tank top.  Even tho I knew we were going to a 10,000' elevation, I never thought of the cold. When we got there, it was 54 degrees out. BURRR.  I had to buy a T shirt, what a senior moment that was.  DUH! We met an older couple (I think in their mid to late 70's) from Hurricane. Even tho they are older, they thought ahead enough to bring jackets.  Doesn't say much for me! Denny even brought a sweatshirt.   Now I never leave without a jacket/sweatshirt in the truck.

It was quite a drive going up.  Hurricanes is 2500', so we had a climb of  7500'. Very twisty and steep, but a good road.  Cedar Breaks is beautiful.  All the lookouts are different views of a huge  amphitheater of red rock mesa's, arches and spires.

This is the park that got 17" of snow 2 days after we  were there. I talked about it in an earlier blog.  It closes Oct. 15th. Because it is colder,  the fall colors were beautiful. Most of the trees are Aspens, which turn a vivid yellow.  Didn't really see any oranges or reds. 


Cedar Breaks



Beautiful fall color


Zion/Kolab National Park

On the way back, we stopped at Zion/Kolab National Park.  It is part of the main Zion, but it has a different entrance 60 miles away.  You can't get to it from the main park. It gets missed by most people, bit it is actually close than the main Zion for us.   It is like a miniature of the main park.. You only drive in 5 miles. By the time we got back down to it from Cedar Breaks, it was again 95 degrees.

I feel like I'm on a roll. Three out of the four pictures I downloaded came thru. The most ever

No comments:

Post a Comment